During the second world war a German bomber on its way home unloaded its unused ‘cargo’, which hit St Nicolas’ Church.The roof, organ and choir stalls were badly damaged, and all of the windows were shattered. Repairs were made over time, with some of the stained glass windows being replaced with plain glass. Fragments of the old windows were saved and used to create shields to add to the plain windows. In 1951 a new east window was dedicated.
In 1953 St Nicholas’ became a Grade II* listed building.