Known locally as the ‘one hand clock’, this ancient and iconic church building is located right next to the new North Stoneham Park development and opposite Eastleigh Football Club, and we are committed to playing a full part in our local community. To help us do this we are excited about some changes to our building, including toilets, new entrance, re-decorating and re-ordering of the furniture. This will help us create a bright and welcoming space.
To keep in touch with what’s going on like our Facebook page. You can find it here
We hold two services every Sunday. Each has it’s own distinctive style but you’ll find a warm welcome at both!
A traditional communion service with hymns accompanied by the organ followed by refreshments.
An informal service suitable for all ages. Refreshments from 3.45, contemporary worship at 4.00, followed by a range of activities designed to help us grow in faith together.
Coming up at 4pm:
1st: Community events followed by a meal at 5.30pm
9th: mid-week get-together
26th: mid-week get-together
St Nicolas, North Stoneham is the ancient parish church, dating from the 15th century and of considerable historical importance. It has a fine peal of bells and has a traditional ‘country church’ feel about it. St Nicolas is a popular venue for Baptisms and Weddings, being greatly valued locally as a traditional church of great attractiveness.
The organ is a single manual instrument of eleven stops, build by Positive Organ Co around 1935. A specification is available on the National Pipe Organ Register
The land on which St Nicolas’ Church stands (along with the rest of the parish and much of England) was originally owned by the crown. In 932 King Athelstan gave the land by charter to his Theign, Alfred, who in turn gave it to Hyde Abbey in 941. This was the beginning of the manor of Stoneham Abbitas (later North Stoneham), which would exist largely unchanged until at least 1850. Some historians have suggested that there was a church at North Stoneham as early as 885, though this is disputed. However a church certainly existed by the time of the Doomsday Book in 1086, which would have been constructed of wood. The first recorded Rector was installed in 1248.
The founding of the current stone church cannot be dated precisely. Originally there would have been only the central section of the current church, without the north or south aisles. Evidence exists to suggest the north aisle of the church was added before 1534, so the original central section must have been well before this. The earliest reference to the church having been dedicated to St Nicolas (without an ‘h’) also comes from 1534.