At the disollution of the monasteries in 1538, ownership of the manor of North Stoneham reverted to the crown. King Henry VIII then gave the manor to the Earl of Southampton, ending 600 years of ecclesiastical ownership. In 1559 Queen Elizabeth introduced the Acts of Supremacy and Uniformity, which the Rector of North Stoneham (Thomas Securis) rebelled against, along with the Bishop of Winchester and many others. He was ‘ejected’, and replaced with our first Church of England Rector in 1559.