Foundation

St Michael & All Angels’ Church was founded on 29th September 1897, the Feast of Michaelmas. The land was given by the Squire of North Stoneham, John Fleming, and the foundation stone was laid by his wife Violet at a dedication service led by the Bishop of Southampton. The stone can be seen in the north wall of the sanctuary, originally inscribed “Church of SS Michael & All Angels, Bassett, North Stoneham. This stone was laid by Mrs Willis Fleming Sept. 29th 1897. Rector E. Kenworthy Browne. Churchwardens W. Ramsey & G. Fray. Architect E.P. Warren. Builders Holloway bros.”