Construction

The church was built in two stages due to financial constraints. The first part of the church was dedicated as a chapel of ease on 31st August 1898 by the Bishop of Winchester. The second part was completed and dedicated in 1910. Shortly thereafter, a new Bishop of Winchester was enthroned who was determined that the church should be consecrated (rather than just dedicated), which would prepare the way for it to become the new parish church for a separate Bassett Parish. Though John Fleming (patron of the parish) was strongly against the idea, the Bishop got his way and the church was consecrated on 17th June 1911. There have subsequently been attempts to divide North Stoneham and Bassett into two separate parishes, but these have never been realised.